emboo
boomqueen
hellomyfriend
chickenkarma
24 posters
Go down
drunkagain
Posing like a swan

Flight of the Conchords: On Air {documentary} - Page 2 Empty Flight of the Conchords: On Air {documentary}

Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:26 am
giggletycoon wrote:
drunkagain wrote:Should be especially interesting since Bret's girlfriend made it, considering the access she has to their everyday lives.

I'm expecting it to be more of a behind-the-scenes documentary of the making of the show.  At least I hope it is.  I would think less of them if it got too personal.  It's not that I'm not interested in their personal lives (I am, just like most fans who hang out on message boards), but they've said in so many different interviews how they were uncomfortable with fame and intrusions into their lives.  They've even gone so far as to not answer direct questions about marriage, babies, etc.  To make a documentary about yourselves for TVNZ is, I think, courting fame somewhat.  I'm just afraid that it might be a little hypocritical.

Of course, I'm waiting to actually see the docu before I make that judgement, it might be totally fine.  I don't want to make anyone on the board mad at me, and I hope no one takes this the wrong way.

Yis, good point.    Smile
I'm sure there won't be anything super-personal in this doc, as my comment above may suggest.  What I meant is that they would obviously be more open and candid with someone they know and trust (Hannah) than a journalist who is basically a stranger to them.  
It's not like I expect to see footage of Bret stepping out of the shower in the morning.
I think it will be really interesting to get this perspective on the boys from someone who knows them so well.   Very Happy
chloe
The Unf! Fairy

Flight of the Conchords: On Air {documentary} - Page 2 Empty Flight of the Conchords: On Air {documentary}

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:03 am
If they were making it for an American company, I think it might be courting fame somewhat, but perhaps it's not, or they think it's not since they're making it for New Zealand. Either way, I'm curious to see what it's all about.
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:40 am
drunkagain wrote:It's not like I expect to see footage of Bret stepping out of the shower in the morning.

Well, "Figwit"had a scene extremely close to this.   Razz

Last edited by 57 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:41 am; edited 1 time in total
pukeko
There's nothin' wrong

Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:45 pm
What you have to remember is that "Fame" in NZ is a totally different ball game than the US or UK, at least. I guess it's part of the whole tall poppy syndrome thing, we just can't take local celebrities seriously. Or it's possibly that we're just too small, and  so there's no real novelty. Ie, you can go to a hairdresser on K' Road and get a hair cut from the bassist of one of the countries biggest bands, or run into any number of top directors and actors on Cuba Mall. It just seems to be a mindset we have.

So really, thats probably why the doco is screening here, people are interested in their success overseas but it's not inviting as much intrusion as it might elsewhere.

In saying that, technology is great. Since Prime is a free-to-air channel I will almost certainly be able to record it, and maybe I could post it to someone with some tech skills?
sargifster
Tech Admin

Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:23 pm
pukeko wrote:... and maybe I could post it to someone with some tech skills?

I am quite happy to volunteer for this assignment.   Smile

Thank you Hilary for hopefully helping us see this.   Glomp
chloe
The Unf! Fairy

Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:26 pm
pukeko wrote:you can go to a hairdresser on K' Road and get a hair cut from the bassist of one of the countries biggest bands, or run into any number of top directors and actors on Cuba Mall. It just seems to be a mindset we have.

New Zealand is starting to sound more and more like paradise to me.   Very Happy
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:17 am
FYI: this is available on HBO On Demand.
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:19 am
blondesnotbombs wrote:FYI: this is available on HBO On Demand.

WHAT???????????????????????????   Shocked Shocked Shocked

Please hook us up, someone.  Secretly if you must.  PM me!!!!   Pray
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:20 am

Sara????????????? [image] [image] [image]
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:37 am

Amily wrote:

Sara????????????? [image] [image] [image]

*kneeling next to Ami* [image] [image]
drunkagain
Posing like a swan

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:50 am

HOLY HELL!!!!!!
Thanks for the heads up, Sam!
Going to watch it now...

[image]
drunkagain
Posing like a swan

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:33 am
[image]

This was amazing!
I can't wait for you all to see it. [image]
Was a little surprised that all the footage seems to be from Season 1 filming and shortly thereafter.
Definitely not complaining - I just thought this would be S2-related.
Off to bed where I will hopefully dream of Bret walking around the recording studio in shorts. [image] [image] [image]
[image]
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:35 am
WANT.   Sad love

Last edited by Ami on Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
aom192
Turning white clouds grey

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:56 am
sum people havent got hbo.... Sad or hbo on demand...

Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:34 am
I have HBO, but Directv doesn't cary HBO on Demand! I really want to see this.
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:30 am
Watching now!

Will share my thoughts in this post as I watch!   Dance 2

- Jemaine: "Bret, you can hear your beard in the microphone.  You have a loud beard."  Laughing  

- OH MY GOD!!!! THE WRITING ROOM!!!

- The Jemainiacs may die when they see Jem playing guitar, lying on the floor.  So sweet.

- Kristen is freaking adorable.

- Bret used to handle the lighting for Rhys' show????

- James Bobin almost seems like he's their dad.   Laughing

- The 6-pack of ice! Aw!

- We get to see a table reading!!!!

- I've been trying not to comment on Bret, but now I have to say: Bret is sooooooooooooooo hot. mmmm...   Drool  There.  Now I can get back to focusing on the doc.  Razz

- "Will Dance Robot for Spare Ticket" feels like it should be our slogan or something

- I just want to snuggle Rhys and never let go

- seriously ... how can anyone not love Rhys?

- Is that Hannah spekaing at the end?

Last edited by 57 on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:01 pm
It seemed more like a dvd extra than a documentary. It was short and cute. Smile No information we haven't heard before, really, but still worth watching. [image]

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:05 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:It seemed more like a dvd extra than a documentary. It was short and cute. Smile No information we haven't heard before, really, but still worth watching. [image]

How long was it? A half hour? 15 mins?
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:08 pm

giggletycoon wrote:
hellomyfriend wrote:It seemed more like a dvd extra than a documentary. It was short and cute. Smile No information we haven't heard before, really, but still worth watching. [image]

How long was it? A half hour? 15 mins?

~ 25 minutes Smile

Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:51 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:- OH MY GOD!!!! THE WRITING ROOM!!!

Does it look like the photos we've seen? Or did they fix it up for the second season?

hellomyfriend wrote:- Bret used to handle the lighting for Rhys' show????

Rhys had a show?

hellomyfriend wrote:- James Bobin almost seems like he's their dad. [image]

Aww. Jemaine has described their dynamic as two older brothers and Bret as the younger brother, but James as the dad actually sounds more likely to me. Maybe Jemaine doesnt' want to admit he gets bossed around by James. Smile
Katie
Katie
Totally Fine

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:15 pm
I loved it! The "Lazy Jemaine" part was adorable.   In love  Sleepy Bret was also super cute.

I wonder if this will be included on a re-release of Season 1 with hopefully some more extras?   Pray  Pray  Pray

<------- is greedy.
gezyka
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:34 pm

giggletycoon wrote:
hellomyfriend wrote:
- Bret used to handle the lighting for Rhys' show????
Rhys had a show?
Stand-up show. Smile

I think what they're referring to is when Rhys was also performing at Edinburgh back in the day. Somewhere else it's mentioned that Bret did Rhys' lighting and Rhys in return did the advertising for FOTC. (I can actually see this article in my head, but don't quite remember where it is.)

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:41 pm

gezyka wrote:
giggletycoon wrote:
Rhys had a show?
Stand-up show. Smile

I think what they're referring to is when Rhys was also performing at Edinburgh back in the day. Somewhere else it's mentioned that Bret did Rhys' lighting and Rhys in return did the advertising for FOTC. (I can actually see this article in my head, but don't quite remember where it is.)
[image]
Yeah,I remember that too but forget what article it's from.
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:56 pm

gezyka wrote:
giggletycoon wrote:
Rhys had a show?
Stand-up show. Smile

They've mentioned it in a couple of interviews, but for some reason the only one I can remember right now is the interview with Rhys in the November '08 issue of Maxim UK.

When did you first come over to the UK?
I came over to do the Edinburgh Festival in 2001. I went back for five years in a row, and in the second year The Conchords came as well. We were all broke and we helped each other. Bret form The Conchords did the lighting and sound for my show, and handed out biscuits at tea time.

Bret = [image]
drunkagain
Posing like a swan

Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:36 pm
hellomyfriend wrote:It seemed more like a dvd extra than a documentary.  It was short and cute.  Smile No information we haven't heard before, really, but still worth watching.   Thumbs up

According to this the doc is supposed to be an hour long.

Wellington company Pop Film have just been approved funding for a new documentary on the success of Flight of the Conchords duo Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clement.

The one hour documentary entitled "Flight of the Conchords: On Air" will screen on PRIME later this year.

Maybe they just released an abridged version to HBO and the full hour-long version will air in NZ?   Pray

And yes - nothing new or terribly exciting, but I love getting some behind-the-scenes stuff.
- the table read with the sandwich-hit-my-face bit
- Bret playing the piano   Synthesizer   Heart eyes
- Jemaine drumming on his legs
- Bret imitating Rhys' sound effects/stand up routine   Laughing
- Jemaine - "I'm a naturally lazy person."

- In the writers' room, there's a pink notecard that says "Is it Gay?", and underneath it is this card - "Dave Says Bret's Shirt is Gay"

ROFL

I love how relaxed and giggly they are during the interview portions on the couch .  
Also, Bret is really hot.   In love In love
And I'm developing quite the crush on James Bobin.
Sponsored content

Flight of the Conchords: On Air {documentary} - Page 2 Empty Re: Flight of the Conchords: On Air {documentary}

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum