Go down
Ami
Ami
Administrator

The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium Empty The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:02 pm
Uncle Bertie's Botanarium by Duncan Sarkies, Lawrence Arabia featuring Jemaine and Nigel!! :#excited2#: They're looking for a little help in getting this funded soo here's the info. :#cheer#: :#cheer#: :#cheer#:

You can help by pledging as little as $5 [url=here][/url]. There are some cool sounding gifts for those who pledge as well. :#evilgrin#:

From the PledgeMe site:

[size=150:1iubm6oq]About Uncle Bertie's Botanarium
Project Published on 10/04/2012 07:06 a.m.

[size=150:1iubm6oq]Salutations
Greetings seafarers, city slickers, country types, historians, botanists and lovers of the ridiculous.

[size=150:1iubm6oq]What we are trying to do
Help us to make our dream of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium Episode I: Cheese Dreams in the Gravy Isles come true. We are planning, come hell or high water, to make Episode I of a radio podcast, scripted by Duncan Sarkies and featuring the music of Lawrence Arabia and performances by Jemaine Clement and Nigel Collins. The podcast also features sound design by Nic McGowan and illustrations by Stephen Templer.

[size=150:1iubm6oq]We need your help
We will be recording the podcast in May and we are determined to do a really good job of it. This Pledge Me campaign is an important way you can help us to raise the minimum funds we need, and you will get something cool in return.

[size=150:1iubm6oq]A little bit about the story - Episode 1: Cheese Dreams in the Gravy Isles
Mr Banks is a famous aristocratic idle botanist who is a lord in the ugly squalor of Damprot-Upon-Tyne, the jewel of the Gravy Isles. A varicose vein cheese dream leads him to the secret botanarium of Bank’s Uncle Bertie. Uncle Bertie was a laughing stock amongst botanists due to his belief in the existence of ‘Heaven's Clover’, a plant on the other side of the Boiling Ocean rumoured to offer a lifetime of pleasure. He disappeared in search of the plant, never to be seen again.

Mr Banks announces that he will set sail to the Boiling Ocean and beyond, to restore his family name and to rid the world of pleasure. He selects a crew of untrustworthy seafarers, botanists and dandys. As the sailors leave the port for pastures unknown and probable certain death they sing a moving farewell dirge, I Left My Heart in the Gravy Isles.

[size=150:1iubm6oq]A little about us
Lawrence Arabia is a splendid musician. In 2010 he won the APRA Silver Scroll with Apple Pie Bed. He has written many other songs worth crowing about:
Talk About The Good Times, The Beautiful Young Crew and Auckland CBD. He has toured with Crowded House, Feist and Okkervil River and will soon be jetting to the UK to promote his forthcoming album The Sparrow.

Duncan Sarkies is a writer who is mostly known for working with brother Robert on Scarfies and their highly anticipated film Two Little Boys. He has written two episodes for the Flight of the Conchords and his novel Two Little Boys has been warmly received in New Zealand and the UK.

Stephen Templer is an illustrator, artist and amateur shaman. He has illustrated for Fatcat and Fishface on their short animated film The Wreck of the Diddley and designed props for The Hobbit. His artwork can be seen all over the country and is always in hot demand. See his website to get an idea of his style. Also, we've displayed some of his artwork below.

Our other collaborators are a superb bunch. Jemaine Clement is extremely well known for his HBO TV Series Flight of the Conchords, Nigel Collins has toured extensively with the Flight of the Conchords, the Wellington International Ukulele Orchestra and much-loved theatre show Wheeler's Luck. Nic McGowan has produced radio plays, albums by many prominent Wellington bands and created sound designs for film and theatre. He is a perfectionist;
he can often be found in the wee small hours rustling trees and sloshing around on boats to capture soundscapes for his many projects.

[size=150:1iubm6oq]Where we have been and where we are going
Uncle Bertie's Botanarium is a project that we have been working on for three years and has so far resulted in a short film, and a rollicking ten episode synopsis that we will turn into more radio podcasts and a grapic novel. After that, who knows, but we do salivate a little at the prospect of eventually creating a feature film…

I also found this, which I believe is the short film on youtube but I'm not entirely sure. Smile

Nigel. :#nigel#: :#blowkiss#: :#love3#:
Ami
Ami
Administrator

The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium Empty Re: Uncle Bertie's Bonatarium feat. Jemaine

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:13 pm
[url=Facebook][/url]

[url=Tumblr][/url]

Smile
emira
emira

The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium Empty Re: Uncle Bertie's Botanarium feat. Jemaine

Fri Apr 13, 2012 5:22 pm
It totally is the short film they mentioned in their pledgeme page :#happyyes#:

I love the crew who created the music for this short. Apart from James there is Toby, Mike... :#love3#:

And it looks like not only one Clement will be working on this project! :#aziz#:

The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium Temclem.png
Ami
Ami
Administrator

The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium Empty Re: Uncle Bertie's Botanarium feat. Jemaine

Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm
emira wrote:And it looks like not only one Clement will be working on this project! :#aziz#:
Awww! I love that. :#love3#: :#love3#: :#love3#:
sargifster
Tech Admin

Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:08 pm
You’ll be helping me make hopefully the weirdest music I’ve ever made, within (as well as) [size=150:1grgqn3k]a absurdist radio play featuring a narcissistic, megalomanical botanist played by Jemaine Clement.

[url=Full article at Lawrence Arabia's website][/url]
emira
emira

Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:34 pm
sargifster wrote:
You’ll be helping me make hopefully the weirdest music I’ve ever made, within (as well as) [size=150:1g0xsljy]a absurdist radio play featuring a narcissistic, megalomanical botanist played by Jemaine Clement.

:#lol#: Awwwww.... :#love3#:
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:12 pm
sargifster wrote:
You’ll be helping me make hopefully the weirdest music I’ve ever made, within (as well as) [size=150:2yzgmmth]a absurdist radio play featuring a narcissistic, megalomanical botanist played by Jemaine Clement.

[/quote]

Those are the best kinds of botanists.

:#happyyes#:
emira
emira

Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:52 am
The goal has been achieved and donations even exceeded it!

[size=150:2v6kspq5]New Zealand writer gets donations to fund project
Tue, 22 May 2012 10:43p.m.

By Elizabeth Puranam

Duncan Sarkies is one of the country's most prolific script writers, having written the movie Scarfies and for the TV show Flight of the Conchords.

But when he needed funding for a psychedelic radio podcast set in a parallel universe, he went to the public for money and got it.

Sarkies is just one of many people using "
crowd funding"
to get their projects going.

His project is called Uncle Bertie's Botanarium.

“Joseph banks in a parallel universe travelling through the boiling ocean to go to the very source of pleasure, which is a plant known as heaven's clover to cut if off at the roots and destroy it because he wants to destroy pleasure,” Sarkies says.

As well as providing the laughs in the studio, musician Lawrence Arabia is in charge of the sound track for the podcast.

Illustrator Stephen Templer's drawings bring the accompanying short film and graphic novel to life.

After working on the idea for two years, Sarkies says they were determined to make it their way, so they went to crowd funding website Pledge Me.

They raised almost $8000 - $1000 more than they asked for - to make the first episode.
Click here to find out more!

Depending on how much money they contributed, pledgers received anything from the pod cast or Templer's art to a dinner party with the creators.

Pledge Me co-founder Anna Guenther is not surprised they got so much support.

“Those guys, they're all really well known for what they do and they're really well known in their fields. But they had a crowd and they had people interested and they're quirky. I think that's what really sold them is how quirky and random they were.”

Anna Guenther launched Pledge Me in February of this year. Since then, it has raised $210,000 for 35 projects.

The website gets 5 percent of all pledges that reach their target.

Megan Salole is Pledge Me's most successful case yet. She wanted enough money to start an organisation that would help Kiwis mobilise and campaign around issues like social justice and the environment.

Her pledgers raised $11,000 in five days.

“New Zealanders are extremely generous and when they care about something, they can put their money there.”

The money raised for Ms Salole will only cover her first month's work, just as the money raised for Uncle Bertie's Botanarium only makes one episode.

But with more than 300 websites like Pledge Me around the world, it looks like crowd funding is catching on as a way of getting a creative project under way.
[url=3 News][/url]

Today I got a letter from New Zealand... A letter? From New Zealand? Who else from NZ knows my address here in the UK? Uncle Bertie! :#excited#:

[align=center:2v6kspq5]The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium UncleBertie.jpg[/align:2v6kspq5]

at the back of the photo,

[align=center:2v6kspq5]The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie'
s Botanarium
Cast and Crew - first day of production May 15th 2012

L to R: Nigel Collins, Lawrence Arabia, Fiona Elwood, Stephen
Templer, Duncan Darkies, Jemaine Clement, Nic McGowan[/align:2v6kspq5]

I can't wait to get and listen to the podcast! :#heart#:
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:33 pm
OMG I love the photo! :#inlove#: Definitely framing it.:;
D:

Unfortunately things seem to take a little longer to get from NZ to Canada :#shakefist#: but this means I should be getting it soon too. :#excited2#:
emira
emira

Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:35 pm
We finally hear something from Uncle Bertie... and Jemaine!

Just posted on Uncle's fb:

The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium 936841_603273563016404_347884790_n.jpg

The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium 482397_603364093007351_354191144_n.jpg

from Bertie's kickstarter update,

Good things take time, so they say, and when a recording is finally ready for public consumption you, dear friend, will be first in the queue to receive your very own download of Uncle Berties Botanarium, Episode One: Cheese Dreams in the Gravy Isles. I expect you will see it in time to warm your winter months.

[size=150:3vfn78r3][url=teasers][/url]

Since it's been taking them so much time to release episode 1, I wonder if they'll have enough time in their life to finish the series!
emira
emira

Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:16 pm
Has anyone else but me got the Episode 1 in an e-mail from Uncle Bertie over a week ago? If not, I'll share with with you with [url=the link to dropbox][/url]. It's 50 minutes of listening to Jemaine's voice. :;
D:

The stories and world of Uncle Bertie’s are created by Duncan Sarkies, Lawrence Arabia and Stephen Templer.

Episode One:
Scripted and directed by Duncan Sarkies
Recorded and mixed by Nic McGowan
Music by Lawrence Arabia
Illustrations by Stephen Templer
Produced by Duncan Sarkies &
Fiona Elwood

Featuring:
Jonathan Brugh (Narrator)
Jemaine Clement (Lord Joseph Banks, Uncle Bertie)
Lawrence Arabia (Solander)
Nigel Collins (The Cheesmonger , Salty Jules and others),
Gentiane Lupi (young Joseph Banks)
Stephen Templer (the Publican, the Illustrator and others)
Duncan Sarkies (various)

Recorded live at Island Bay Studios and various sites around Wellington

Jonathan Brugh a.k.a. Deacon the Vampire from What We Do in the Shadows is Narrator here while I can recognize him in the video as Mr Banks!
Ami
Ami
Administrator

The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium Empty Re: The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium

Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:10 pm
[align=center:1if96783][size=150:1if96783]All episodes at [url=Howl][/url].

Get a 1 month free membership using the coupon code "
bertie"
:)
[/align:1if96783]
blondesnotbombs
Your leaves are making me horny

The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium Empty Re: The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium

Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:30 pm
Do we know how many episodes there are in total? I have the first three downloaded, but I don't want to sign up for Howl until all the episodes have been posted to ensure that I don't miss any.

I've been enjoying a lot of audio dramas lately, so I'm really looking forward to binging on this once I have all of the episodes.
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:35 pm
blondesnotbombs wrote:Do we know how many episodes there are in total? I have the first three downloaded, but I don't want to sign up for Howl until all the episodes have been posted to ensure that I don't miss any.

I've been enjoying a lot of audio dramas lately, so I'm really looking forward to binging on this once I have all of the episodes.

There are 12 episodes. The last one aired June 1st.

I myself have only listened to the first episode so far. I'm going to be saving the rest for the hours long drive my sister and I are making halfway across the country in a couple of weeks. :#haha#:
blondesnotbombs

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:10 pm
Amily wrote:There are 12 episodes. The last one aired June 1st.

Thanks, Ami! I was looking for that information a couple of weeks ago and had no luck. I'll sign up and download tonight. :#excited#:

Amily wrote: I'm going to be saving the rest for the hours long drive my sister and I are making halfway across the country in a couple of weeks. :#haha#:

That's a good time to listen. :#thumbsup#: I like to save these sort of things for long, tedious chores. It's a nice incentive for me to do things I don't want to do. :#haha#:
onlyalways
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:59 pm
blondesnotbombs wrote:That's a good time to listen. :#thumbsup#: I like to save these sort of things for long, tedious chores. It's a nice incentive for me to do things I don't want to do. :#haha#:

:#dance#: :#dance#: I'd like to especially thank Chris Hardwick for so many hours of productivity.

I think I'm going to listen on the way up to Cleveland Saturday. Smile
onlyalways
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:13 pm
From [url=Lawrence Arabia's instagram][/url]:

The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium J6pfLtw.jpg

JEMAINE IN RIDICULOUS PERIOD GARB. :#ded#: :#ded#: :#ded#:

Sounds like [url=Uncle Bertie's is getting a second season][/url]. :#aziz#: (I still have to catch up with the first!)
emira
emira

Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:40 am
onlyalways wrote:From [url=Lawrence Arabia's instagram][/url]:

The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium J6pfLtw.jpg

JEMAINE IN RIDICULOUS PERIOD GARB. :#ded#: :#ded#: :#ded#:

:#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#: :#rofl#:

Sounds like [url=Uncle Bertie's is getting a second season][/url]. :#aziz#: (I still have to catch up with the first!)

That's great! (Although the first episode was too weird to get into this show. I guess I'll have to give it another try :#shy#: )
onlyalways
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:48 am
emira wrote:That's great! (Although the first episode was too weird to get into this show. I guess I'll have to give it another try :#shy#: )

I only recently got two episodes in. I'm rather fond of how epically weird it is, but what I like most is the interaction between Jemaine and Lawrence's characters. They were making me laugh out loud.
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:08 am
Just came across this. :#lol#:

onlyalways
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:10 am
Amily wrote:Just came across this. :#lol#:

:#lol#: :#lol#: :#lol#:

I love how Jemaine says PLEAS-UH!!! in this show.

I also chuckle at all the anti-women's rights lines cause it reminds me A Good Opportunity and it's so very anti-Jemaine.

And there is also this! (There is some sunshine around 4:49 :#love3#: :#love3#: :#love3#: )

I noticed these were uploaded in March of this year, but it looks like these were made years ago?
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:24 pm
From [url=Uncle Bertie's Facebook][/url]
[size=110:2mxlkwfs]Just coming to the end of recording season 2 for Uncle Bertie's Botanarium!

Thanks to Matt Grace for some awesome photos.

[align=center:2mxlkwfs]The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium W4DXBjv.jpg
The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium Re6qTS8.jpg
The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium 9YgjBOA.jpg
The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium WJiWwKh.jpg[/align:2mxlkwfs]
blondesnotbombs

Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:10 pm
Oh goodness, I better finish the first season! :#shy#:
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:21 pm
blondesnotbombs wrote:Oh goodness, I better finish the first season! :#shy#:
Same here. :#shy#: :#shy#:

I'm a bad Jemaine fan! :#sadd#:
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:26 pm
[align=center:3ddl9uza]The Mysterious Secrets of Uncle Bertie's Botanarium 0zf8Jpd.gif

:#cheer#: :#cheer#: :#cheer#: [/align:3ddl9uza]
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum