Venus
Ami
onlyalways
14 posters
Go down
onlyalways
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

When I met Jemaine... Empty When I met Jemaine...

Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:24 pm
[align=center:3n8d0rea]When I met Jemaine... 2cxiwer.jpg

:#aziz#: :;
D: :#aziz#: [/align:3n8d0rea]

Talk about the first time or all the times you've met Jemaine here! :#aziz#: While there are plenty of stories of flighty encounters posted throughout the What Goes On Tour threads, this is thread to help collect all those wonderful moments in one convenient place. :#love3#: If you met both at the same time, (lucky you! :#rasp#: ) feel free to post the story in here and in the [url="
When I met Bret..."
][/url] thread. Smile

To get the ball rolling...

When I met Jemaine I had been standing outside in a warm Vegas night in 2009, betwixt The Joint venue and a [s:3n8d0rea]titty bar[/s:3n8d0rea] refined gentleman's establishment across the street. I was with several flighties I had met that night waiting along side me. Not long after we heard Arj say that they probably wouldn't come out, Jemaine, well, came out! He talked to us for a bit, and I really mean them because I was all nervous and shy and ~star struck~. I was barely able to ask for a picture and an autograph. But he kindly did. There wasn't really any interaction just between him and I because how would you with a shaky, starry-eyed fan? :8-): Razz But I was crazy happy we got to meet him, especially after my very first Conchords show.

I have few more encounters I'll post later, but now it's your turn! :;
D: Embrace the nostalgia!

[align=center:3n8d0rea]:#heart#: :#love3#: :#cloud9#: :#love3#: :#heart#:

:#jem#: :#blowkiss#: [/align:3n8d0rea]
Ami
Ami
Administrator

When I met Jemaine... Empty Re: When I met Jemaine...

Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:29 am
When I met Jemaine for the first time it was May 2009. It was after their show in Salt Lake City and I had 13 or so Flighties there with me. :#love3#: I remember walking out to the alley behind the venue and seeing the buses and it just hit me so hard that there was even a possibility. I was nervous just waiting for them and I think we waited maybe a half hour after going to the merch table and taking group photos with Arj. :;
D: AND THEN Jemaine walked out and my legs began to shake horribly. :-\ I don't remember too much because it just feels like a dream... it felt like a dream while it was happening actually. So surreal. Some things I do rememberare hellomyfriend holding my hand while we waited for him to get to us. To this day I don't even know how I mustered up the balls to even introduce myself, words don't come too easily to me especially when I'm trying to talk to someone I admire so much. Sad Anyway, I believe I said "
Hi Jemaine, I'm Ami"
and held out my hand. As he shook my hand he looked at me and said "
I know"
I wasn't sure if I should be embarassed or think that was totally awesome. :#lol#: He totally caught me off guard and the braveness and composure I had managed when Ifirst introduced myself was just... gone. :#lol#: He completely slaughtered me with that and the rest of our first encounter is a huge blur of embarassment. :#lol#: I also remember telling him I was super nervous and he said "
Aww, don't be!"
and patted me on the back. :#love3#: :#jem#: :#love3#: He was so great and I feel sooooooooo lucky. :;
D: ( I'm sure I could remember a lot more since someone actually recorded part of my meeting with with him but it's much too painful to watch. Razz ) I also was lucky enough to meet Jemaine again, the following May in Berkeley which I will tell about at another time but I'll just say this, it didn't go much better. :#lol#: Sad

[align=center:2yhv7xrp]When I met Jemaine... 2v9sygl.jpg

:#heart#: :#heart#: :#cloud9#: :#heart#: :#heart#:
[size=85:2yhv7xrp]
(
I was too shy to ask for a real hug. :#sadlove#: )
[/align:2yhv7xrp]
Venus
Posing like a swan

Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:41 pm
Just as I was saying over in the Bret thread, this is a great idea for a thread! I love reading about everyone's encounters. :#love3#: Here's an account of my first encounter with Jemaine in Birmingham:

I first met Jemaine after the Birmingham May 10th 2010 show (my first FOTC live show!). I was waiting outside a multi-storey car park for a possible M&
G with Courtney, Sara (luckym) and Sarah (sargifster). We saw a tinted van drive past and I caught a glimpse of Nigel so I was pretty sure they were all in there. Just when I thought there probably wasn’t going to be a M&
G, the van pulled over and out came Bret &
Jemaine.

Initially we were all stood in a sort of semi-circle. Jemaine was on one side of the semi-circle, making his way through fans and Bret was on the other side. I was right in the middle so I didn’t know where to look at first :#haha#: but I just observed both of them interacting with fans. Jemaine looked over at me once when he was with some other fans and I was unbelievably excited and slightly nervous that I was going to meet him real soon. :#cloud9#: To begin with, Jemaine was signing people’s posters so I held out my poster for him to sign. Jemaine soon walked over towards me and I tried to act calm by extending my hand to shake his and introduced myself by saying “Hi Jemaine, my name is Vesna”. He said “hi"
back and smiled. He was looking right into my eyes with an intense gaze. I am kinda shy so I probably looked away on a couple of occasions but I really appreciated the eye contact he gave me &
probably everyone else as it showed that we all had his undivided attention whilst talking to him. :#love3#: I was beaming and the next thing I know, I had the impulsive reaction to hug him so I did. I was planning on asking him first but that didn’t happen but luckily he didn’t seem to mind and hugged me back. He was the perfect gentleman just as I expected. :#inlove#: We took a couple but of pics they didn’t come out well so I decided to leave it for a while so Jemaine could meet other fans.

When I met Jemaine... 2vxfup3.jpg

I came back to Jemaine after meeting Bret to take a pic on Courtney's camera and felt kinda bad asking for another pic but he didn’t seem to mind at all so we took a pic. Afterwards, I thought that maybe I should strike up a conversation with him so the first thing which came to mind was ‘Predicament’ so I told him that I was looking forward to his portrayal of Spook in the movie. He smiled and nodded and said “Oh yeah”. Looking back on it, I think he was a little surprised that I knew about the film. :#lol#: I told him that I had read the book so I knew what the ending was and he smiled and made a gesture which relates to his character :#rofl#: (those who have read the book should be able to guess the gesture he made :;
): ). We laughed, I thanked him and that was the end of my encounter with him. Smile

When I met Jemaine... 2nkrue0.jpg

I can't emphasise enough how sweet Jemaine is in person and I feel very fortunate to have met him. :#cloud9#:

I also had another encounter with Jemaine in London which I’ll post soon. Smile
vanessa
Considering second-hand underpants

Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:32 pm
When I first met Jemaine, I was also standing outside of The Joint in Las Vegas in May 2009 at approximately 2 am. I wasn't with any Flighties nor did I know about fotcmb.com at the time, but I was with 3 other FOTC fans from another board. I decided to go on a whim after one of them offered an extra ticket to me. After reading about how nice B &
J are in person, I was crazy enough to book a trip to Vegas on a Greyhound bus less than a week before the show date. While waiting for the girls to show up at The Hard Rock , I spotted Jemaine and Nigel walking past me on their way to the venue. I tried to appear as composed as possible while fumbling around with my camera like an idiot. Fail! I followed them in and saw Jemaine checking the merch table. Two other fans approached him and I tried not to stare as I waited my turn. When my chance came, I was too starstruck to do anything. I watched him walk right past me again inside the venue without saying anything.

*Fast forward to the next day when Jemaine finally came out after the show*

My friend had me take a picture of the two of them together using her iPhone. Jemaine looked at me and asked if I wanted anything. Once again, too shy to speak, I called my other friends over and told him they wanted to meet him. Time was a wastin' and I had to catch a 3 am bus to make it back to L.A. for their Greek Theatre gig so a few of my friends sort of pushed me toward him. He glanced at me and said, "
Oh, I remember you...from before,"
and he pointed over in the direction of our previous iPhone encounter that took place 10 minutes prior. All I could muster out was, "
Hi! My name is Vanessa. Could I get a hug photo (because a few other board members had them so I figured, why not?)?"
Damn. Do I have game or what? :8-): Almost immediately, he crouched down, extended his arms into hugging postition, I went in for the hug and he pulled his face in ridiculously close to mine (which, I didn't mind) and I got my hug photo courtesy of 4everconchordsfan. :#cloud9#:

When I met Jemaine... Tmpphpttv019.jpg?t=1282415519
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:07 pm
hrm. my memory of our first meeting is a bit blurred by nostalgia + diffused by happiness, so i'll just post a bit of what i wrote at the time, since it was packed fresh with jemaine luv Smile .

Basically, this took place after the second Orpheum show in L.A. in '08. The one thing i DO remember vividly is our brief conversation about adult diapers. yep. you read right.

read on :;
): .

"
It’s hard to remember what I said, exactly. I know I asked him straightaway if I might have 1)his signature 2) a picture 3) a hug. He just smiled and nodded and started signing. I asked him if Bret had given him the CD’s I had made for them (and had given to Bret on Friday night) and he said he hadn’t seen them yet. I think I said I’d check with Bret about them (ugh – such a goony fan – yuck – why didn’t I think of something better to say?!?!). He asked what was on the CD’s and I explained that I had put some Spanish music on them so that they could take a part of Los Angeles with them when they left. I think the next thing I did was get Caitlin to take a picture of us. To do so I moved next to him, and he pulled me close with his right arm (HOMAGOD!) and squeezed me tight. Something didn’t work with the camera, so he let go for a bit (sadness) and then pulled me close again for the picture (HOMAGOD X 2!!). I was so close to him – his jacket brushed against my face – and I tried not to think too much about my proximity to him because I knew I’d lose it. Caitlin took the picture, and I think he figured he was done, but I asked him again if I could have my hug and he said okay. So, I got on my tip-toes, reached my arms up over his shoulders (received either a panicked or questioning look here, but chose to ignore it) and pulled him to me.

OMG. I hugged Jemaine. My arms were around his neck. I just need to breathe for a minute, hang on…………………

After the sheer bliss of that moment, he turned around and signed others’ items, and I got back to work, taking pictures of all the flighties around me. Every now and then I’d realize that I was right next to Jemaine, and get so excited. I would hear his giggle all around me, and it was like the music of the spheres. I could listen to that laugh forever!

Okay, best part here. So, at one point I was literally sandwiched between Bret (taking pics of him and Caitlin) and Jemaine (taking pics with [another friend]) – I felt like a member of the paparazzi !! I realized at some point that Jemaine was right next to me, and looking at me, so I turned around and said, “Jemaine, I have to ask you something” to which he responded, “okay”.

“so, a few of us would like to know, what do you carry around in your murse?”
“well (“wheel”), I’ve got some presents for some people who have helped with (“weeth”) the tour… and some shaving cream” (pointed to the cream and smiled)
“oh, yes, that’s very important, right? Have to maintain a close shave?”
“yis” (he stroked his face – homagod!)
“well, what do you usually carry around in it?”
“depends…” (he giggles) “well (“wheel”) not DEPENDS…”
I laugh, “oh, no. those could come in really handy on those long road trips”
We laugh together, “yis, yis.” Awkward pause.

“So” I begin, “are you sticking around LA for long, or are you taking off soon?”
“We’ll be in LA for a couple of months and then leave”

Somewhere in here he said he’d be writing while in LA, but my memory is fuzzy. I really can’t remember how the conversation ended, but he moved away from me towards Bret, at some point, and I suffered Jemaine withdrawal. Sigh."

he was (and is) just wonderful about the whole thing. both he and bret stuck around until all the fans were satisfied. i imagine this particular memory as glowing with pure happiness as it sits in my brain Smile .

here's the picture ines (i think) took of jemaine and me.

When I met Jemaine... 100_1941-1.jpg
emira
emira

Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:28 am
What an interesting thread idea! :#love3#: I'll try to write my own story when I finally catch up with the Board. Smile

but for now, THIS:

chrissycubana wrote:“so, a few of us would like to know, what do you carry around in your murse?”
“well (“wheel”), I’ve got some presents for some people who have helped with (“weeth”) the tour…

some presents FOR some people, not 'from'. It's just made me :#heart#: :#cloud9#: :#jem#: :#blowkiss#: :#bret#: :#blowkiss#: :#cloud9#: :#heart#:
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:09 pm
Chrissy! I'm so happy you posted that! :#excited#: :#glomp#: It's been sooo long since I've read it, it was almost like reading if for the first time again. :;
D: I still to this day will never ever get over how close your face is to his beautiful mound of chest hair. :#sadno#: :#thud#: Also, I think the whole "
depends"
conversation just may be the best conversation I've heard a fan have with him! :#lol#: :#love3#: :#love3#: :#love3#:
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:33 pm
Amily wrote: Also, I think the whole "
depends"
conversation just may be the best conversation I've heard a fan have with him! :#lol#: :#love3#: :#love3#: :#love3#:

it's a very "
me"
convo to have (as many of you now - perhaps unfortunately - know, i'm not shy when it comes to potty humor :;
): ) , and i'm glad that, however brief, i got to share that silly moment with him (and that it didn't completely freak him out :#thumbsup#: ). i was also so happy at the moment that his mind went exactly where mine went when he said "
depends"
:#love3#: .
gezyka
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:22 pm
vanessa wrote:When I met Jemaine... Tmpphpttv019.jpg?t=1282415519
Such a cute photo, Vanessa! :#love3#:

emira wrote:
chrissycubana wrote:“so, a few of us would like to know, what do you carry around in your murse?”
“well (“wheel”), I’ve got some presents for some people who have helped with (“weeth”) the tour…

some presents FOR some people, not 'from'. It's just made me :#heart#: :#cloud9#: :#jem#: :#blowkiss#: :#bret#: :#blowkiss#: :#cloud9#: :#heart#:
:#dance#: :#dance#:

Amily wrote:I think the whole "
depends"
:#dance#: :#dance#: (again)

:#jem#: :#blowkiss#: :#sheep#: :#blowkiss#:
dullflame
I'm not crying

Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:34 pm
It was April 14th, 2009. My mom was with me, and complaining every two seconds about how cold it was (it was about 40 degrees out by the time I got in my car at 1:30 AM), and I was just trying not to lose what little composure I had.

There were two metal partitions to keep people from rushing the guys or getting on the tour bus. It just made things difficult in other ways- it was really hard to get to the front and not get smashed into the bars by another over-zealous fan.

I met Bret first, and he signed a little thing I'd made for my friend Melissa, who was supposed to be there instead of my mom but she couldn't get off of work. It just said "
Hello Melissa"
on it, and he wrote, "
Hi Melissa. I miss you. Love, Bret."
I got a picture and then went to the other side to meet Jemaine- I had already been checking out that luscious booty of his over other people's heads, and thank God my mom couldn't see that that's what I was doing, amiright?

I was SO nervous. I'd been nervous when I met Bret, alright, even had a few tears because inside I was screaming in excitement, but nothing compared to this. I'd never felt that level of screaming-panic-on-the-inside before, and I haven't since (except for when I went for my State Board exam and realised that I didn't have my straight razor and it was 5 PM on a Sunday and the beauty supply up the road was closed and the test began at 7:30 the next morning- I seriously love you forever for meeting me halfway, Melissa!).

So, anyway, I finally made my way up to Jem, and my heart was racing. As gorgeous as he is in pictures and onscreen, they really don't do him justice. His eyes are much more green, his hands were PERFECT (better than mine, and I'd given myself a manicure the day before!), and his smile... It just makes your heart melt to see it. I've never been so immediately stricken by another human being in my life. I know how creepy and horribly Mel-like that sounds, but it's true. I hadn't even spoken to him yet and I was already scaring the poor guy, staring at him like a hungry dog at a juicy steak. Only I guess it looked more like "
I WILL EAT YOUR SOUL"
, based on the look he gave me when he glanced my way.

Finally, after nearly getting crowned by an autographed plywood "
Hot Dogs"
sign and much shoving from other fans, I was standing there, in front of Jemaine. I shoved my poster at him and said, "
Hi..."

"
What's your name?"

"
... Sarah."
I paused. "
With an 'H' at the end."

"
Alright"
. He looked at me like, "
I know how to spell your name, I'm not stupid"
but it's a force of habit. People that have known me for years forget how my name is spelled. When he was done writing ("
Sarah- This is your poster. Good luck with it. Love, Jemaine"
), I took my poster back and my mom took this picture:

When I met Jemaine... 060_60.jpg

There's another one, but Jem was still talking when my mom took it. I wasn't enough of a jerk to ask for a third when there were so many people there. I got a quick hug, ran back around because I'd forgotten to get Bret to sign my own poster, and I talked to Kristen for a minute.

I'm still reeling. I can't believe it happened.
emira
emira

Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:00 am
What a story! Thanks, SaraH! Well, actually we have some Saras on the Board spelt with no 'h', so you did the right thing spelling him your name. :#hug#:

When I met Jemaine... 060_60.jpg

:#loveeyes#: :#loveeyes#: :#loveeyes#: :#angel#: :#blowkiss#: :#jem#: :#blowkiss#:
dullflame
I'm not crying

Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:49 pm
I have a serious case of Drunk Face in that picture. Maybe the next one will be better!
emira
emira

Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:17 pm
dullflame wrote:I have a serious case of Drunk Face in that picture. Maybe the next one will be better!

Well, we all have Drunk Face in our pictures with the Guys. We are drunk with LOVE! :#heart#:

:#jem#: :#blowkiss#: :#bret#: :#blowkiss#:
sally
I like to rock the party!

Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:18 am
The first time I met Jemaine, he was very coy about signing the magazine I'd brought with me. In fact he wrote under his face on the cover "
Do not look at this photo"

I then said to him, "
Thank you very much."
He simply replied, "
You're welcome...very much."

Then I think I may have fainted.
dullflame
I'm not crying

Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:16 am
I remember that story. He's such a sweetheart.
kipples
I'm making a lasagne... for one

Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:32 am
I never thought I'd be one of those people hanging around stage doors waiting to catch a glimpse of a celebrity, but at the age of 27 I became one of those people!
I had met up with two girls from wtf! who had come over from Texas to see them. After the May 5th show we waited by the stage door until 1am but they were a no show.
So the next day we made sure we got down early to hopefully catch them as they went in. I wore my Crazy Horses gang t-shirt. I actually hadn't planned on wearing it and only brought it with me to show the girls, but they told me I pretty much had to wear it and I didn't need to be persuaded further.
We got down for about 6pm and the girls went up and asked a security man if the guys were there as they had a gift for them. The security fella said they were doing a sound check and probably best to wait until after the show and they were definitely going to come out these doors after the show.
After the security guy went outside 3 teenage boys came running over to us saying that Bret had come out about 10 minutes before we had shown up ( Surprised :#banghead#: ) so he was going to have to come back this way.
We were starting to get a little weary when I spotted Nigel walking up the road towards us, and then just over his shoulder saw Jemaine. I was really surprised at how calm I felt at that moment, I didn't get that butterfly feeling, not straight away anyway.
I said to the girls "
Oh, Jemaines coming now guys"
. As he got nearer a hush descended on all of us. If it hadn't been for Elana going up to him I doubt there would have been any picture. Of course when she went up we all became brave and started edging closer to him. The butterfly's had definitely made home in my gut by now!
I'm finding it hard to remember exactly what happened now but I know he asked me where did I get the t-shirt. I replied with "
Fro-from the webs-, the place, the nzfilm website that you can buy it from. Could I get a picture"
"
Yea sur-"
"
canyoudothesign"
"
Just a second"
, and he points to people who have positioned themselves around him to get a picture taken. Me: "
Oh god yes, sorry"
He came over to me a second later and had the hand sign ready and the lips pursed for the noise (which I just can't do"

This is the result

When I met Jemaine... MeJ.jpg
I hate that picture, all because I have my hand in my face. Thank goodness Elena and Daniela were smart enough to take a few more

When I met Jemaine... Jemdub2.png
When I met Jemaine... Jemdub3.png

When I met Jemaine... Jemdub1.png
I can't remember what we're laughing at in the last one but I'm happy that picture exists :#heart#:

And that's pretty much it for my "
When I met Jemaine"
story. I'll try get my Bret story up by the end of the weekend.

Last edited by 771 on Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:37 am
kipples wrote:

When I met Jemaine... Jemdub1.png
I can't remember what we're laughing at in the last one but I'm happy that picture exists :#heart#:

I am SO HAPPY you asked him to do the crazy horse's thing!!!!! those pictures are fantastic - especially the last one!!! lookit Jemaine's goofy smile!!! :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#: :#excited2#:
squidhat
Beneath a willow tree

Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:57 am
that was lovely, kipples! fantastic pictures Smile
thank you for sharing and i'm looking forward to reading your bret story!
SheWolf
Bowie's in space

Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:06 pm
It was nice to read your account again kipples. I nearly went to the Dublin shows so it was with great anticipation that I read your account of meeting J. Dang he was looking hot that night and that last photo is one of the cutest I've ever seen of him. Am I right in thinking that someone else from that night said that Jemaine said he liked hugs? :#love3#:
kipples
I'm making a lasagne... for one

Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:51 pm
SheWolf wrote:Am I right in thinking that someone else from that night said that Jemaine said he liked hugs? :#love3#:

I don't recall that myself. Maybe fs said it?
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:34 pm
Thanks for sharing your stories with us Sarah and Aimee! :#glomp#: :#glomp#:

I can never read too many tales of J's sweetness towards his fans. :#love3#:

*wink wink nudge nudge* to those who have yet to post. Razz
SheWolf
Bowie's in space

Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:45 am
Yeah I'm thinking it was her. One of them asked for a hug photo and J said he liked hugs, I think.
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

Sun Sep 19, 2010 10:14 am
d'awwwwwwwwww! i hope that jemaine did say, at some point, that he likes hugs!

:#cloud9#: :#cloud9#: :#cloud9#: :#cloud9#: :#cloud9#: :#cloud9#: :#cloud9#: :#cloud9#: :#cloud9#:
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:38 pm
I never witnessed him saying that he likes hugs but I'm pretty sure he has said it in the past. :#happyyes#:

Remember ~hugs not drugs~ :#love3#: :#love3#: :#love3#:
onlyalways
onlyalways
High Class Conwhord

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:26 pm
kipples wrote:When I met Jemaine... Jemdub1.png

Just reaffirming the obvious that this picture is spectacular. :#lol#: :#heart#:
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum