Go down

New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009 Empty New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:00 pm
Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clemet will appear in the NY Times Magazine this Sunday, telling interviewer Deborah Solomon what it's like living in New York, and what they think of Obama's stimulus package.

Here's a snippet:

Bret: [New York is] a good city if you want to struggle. It's easy to struggle in New York. I think New York is a bit expensive. It's too expensive to hang out unless you've got a TV show.

Any thoughts on the president's new stimulus package? What do you recommend for the U.S. economy?
Jemaine: Budgeting.
Bret: Yeah, the government should do a budget.

I believe we already have a budget.
Jemaine: It doesn't seem like it…Maybe the American government could get a second job.
Bret: A part-time job. Or maybe the government should get its own TV show.

I'm excited for this interview!
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009 Empty New York Times Magazine Interview

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:03 pm
giggletycoon wrote:
Bret McKenzie and Jemaine Clemet will appear in the NY Times Magazine this Sunday, telling interviewer Deborah Solomon what it's like living in New York, and what they think of Obama's stimulus package.

Here's a snippet:

Bret: [New York is] a good city if you want to struggle. It's easy to struggle in New York. I think New York is a bit expensive. It's too expensive to hang out unless you've got a TV show.

Any thoughts on the president's new stimulus package? What do you recommend for the U.S. economy?

Jemaine: It doesn't seem like it…Maybe the American government could get a second job.
Bret: A part-time job. Or maybe the government should get its own TV show.

I'm excited for this interview!

Love 3 Bret Love 3 Jemaine
talkkiwitome
Beneath a willow tree

New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009 Empty New York Times Magazine Interview

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:31 pm
I'll be on the lookout for that one. Thanks!

Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:36 pm
The government should get a second job? [image]
aom192
Turning white clouds grey

Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:25 pm
Bret thinks the goverment should have a part time job. Very Happy

God I love that man.

Last edited by 229 on Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
christi
Ah, Gerard Depardieu

Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:45 pm

thedistantfuture wrote:The government should get a second job? [image]

[image] That's classic
gezyka
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:39 am
We've seen these questions recently (from above and something posted in another thread), but here's the complete interview:

Questions for Bret Mckenzie and Jemaine Clement
Dynamic Duo

Interview by DEBORAH SOLOMON
Published: February 26, 2009

As the creators and co-stars of “Flight of the Conchords,” the HBO cult comedy series, do you expect the show to be renewed for a third season?
Jemaine: Unlikely.
Bret: We’re going to go straight to the fourth season.

The show is a loosely autobiographical tale about two goofy band mates from New Zealand trying to make it in Manhattan. Is New York a good place for struggling artists?
Bret: It’s a good city if you want to struggle. It’s easy to struggle in New York. I think New York is a bit expensive. It’s too expensive to hang out unless you’ve got a TV show.

Your show is sort of the anti-“Entourage,” in part because there is no cursing or nudity.
Jemaine: We have facial nudity.

Do you see the show as musical comedy?
Bret: It’s definitely closer to the comedy end than the music end.

Next month, you’re releasing a new album and embarking on a U.S. tour. Is it fair to describe your music as a hybrid form that parodies folk music and other genres?
Bret: I would describe our music as weird. I mean, I wouldn’t want to listen to it.

Do you find it surprising that you’ve managed to have a hit television show in spite of your twangy accents?
Jemaine: In New Zealand, people don’t like the New Zealand accent, so we weren’t able to get a TV show there.

What do they watch in New Zealand?
Jemaine: American shows.
Bret: They don’t understand their own accents, so they don’t talk very much.

New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009 RkBD0hw
Pej Behdarvand for The New York Times

What do Australians think of your accent?
Jemaine: They think our accent is crude.
Bret: They do make fun of our accents when we’re there.

You first met as drama students at Victoria University in Wellington.
Bret: It started off as a punch-out.
Jemaine: In the New Zealand tradition, we started off fighting like two Russell Crowes. Now we’re amicable rivals. Bret: In between fights we’d write comedy songs.

Is that a joke?
Bret: I don’t know.

Is it true there are more sheep than people in New Zealand?
Jemaine: Ten times more. But in America there are probably more ants than people.
Bret: More cars than people.

Is there anything you can say about the episode being shown this Sunday?
Jemaine: The prime minister of New Zealand comes to New York and wants to meet Barack Obama.

Does New Zealand’s actual prime minister, John Key, appear in the episode?
Bret: No, we decided to go with an actor rather than a politician.
Jemaine: The same way George Bush wasn’t on “24.”

Does President Obama make a cameo appearance?
Jemaine: We can’t tell you.
Bret: HBO might have put him in there as a treat for us.

Any thoughts on the president’s new stimulus package? What do you recommend forthe U.S. economy?

Jemaine: It doesn’t seem like it.
Bret: They need to put aside a certain amount each week for rent and then some money for food and then some money for partying, having a good time. Jemaine: Put aside some for invasions!

INTERVIEW CONDUCTED, CONDENSED AND EDITED BY DEBORAH SOLOMON
Source

Last edited by 187 on Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:51 am
"CONDENSED" Sad

Last edited by Ami on Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
chloe
The Unf! Fairy

Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:51 am
"We have facial nudity."  Laughing

Oh Jemaine, I love you.
gezyka
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:55 am
Amily wrote:"CONDENSED" Sad

I know.  Angry Sad Eye rolling
Ami
Ami
Administrator

Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:58 am
gezyka wrote:
Amily wrote:"CONDENSED" Sad

I know.  Angry  Sad  Eye rolling

I'm so greedy! Have a fit

Last edited by Ami on Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
dave
I'm not crying

Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:08 am
awesome interview.
drunkagain
Posing like a swan

Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:09 am
Is that a joke?
Bret: I don’t know.

Laughing

The NYT site has this at the bottom of the interview page:

A version of this article appeared in print on March 1, 2009, on page MM13 of the New York edition.

Notice their comments about the government getting a second job are not in the online version.  There may be some other differences in the NY print edition. I wish we could see the "non-condensed" version - I'm greedy too. Haha Angry
Ami
Ami
Administrator

New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009 Empty Re: New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009

Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:42 pm
More from this photoshoot by Pej Behdarvand.

New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009 67GRsiN

New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009 JEM0tDf

New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009 IJOJhIP

New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009 H5smCnM

New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009 CV58QDf

New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009 8vRKXQo

New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009 BKuE5iP

New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009 EVVnisZ

New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009 XYAYX9t
Sponsored content

New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009 Empty Re: New York Times Interview - February 26, 2009

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum