Go down
drunkagain
Posing like a swan

Nylon Interview - Summer 2006 Empty Nylon Interview - Summer 2006

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:58 pm
PARODY BAND FLIGHT OF THE CONCHORDS ARE FUNNIER THAN YOU ARE

by Paige Turner <-- is this name for real?

Flight of the Conchords may bill themselves as "New Zealand's fourth most popular digi-folk parodists" --but don't hold it against them.  While the musical parody genre rightfully conjures negative associations, this duo is a far cry from the likes of Weird Al and Dr. Demento.  Their songs (which come in numerous musical styles--soul, hip-hop, '70s rock a la David Bowie or T. Rex) aren't merely hilarious, they're also good. Factor in the Conchords' fiendishly clever deadpan banter, and it's no surprise they're sweeping the Edinburgh and Aspen comedy festivals, landing development deals, signing a record deal with Sub Pop, and virally expanding their rabid fanbase.

Prior to embarking on a two-month tour of Australia and New Zealand opening for Bic Runga, the Conchords are spending a couple of weeks in L.A. working with Da Ali G Show co-writer and director James Bobin on a pilot for HBO.  I've arranged to meet them at their hotel at noon on a blindingly sunny Saturday, but there's a bit of a snag: one-half of the group--Bret McKenzie--is missing.  His partner, Jemaine Clement, rings his room but there's no answer. We search the coffee shop, the lobby, the pool area: no McKenzie.

"I could speak for him?" offers Clement.  

Finally, we trek up to McKenzie's room, and after some vigorous knocking, he opens the door, blearily wiping sleep from his eyes.  Pulling on the stripey sweater described on the band's website as "a very successful purchase," McKenzie explains the reason behind his sleep-in: singer/songwriter Jon Brion.

"We did a show with him at Largo last night--that man will play all night."

While they never crack a smile during their shows, happily, this pokerface stance does not continue offstage.  Over breakfast at the Kings Road Cafe, the two chat about favorite TV shows (Deadwood, Pimp My Ride), music's second bananas (John Oates, Andrew Ridgeley) and tease each other mercilessly (Clement for his role as Outback Steakhouse pitchman;McKenzie for his lack of MySpace friends). Clement also lodges a request to be described as handsome in this story.

After breakfast, we swing by an Internet cafe where the pair checks email and their new MySpace page; Clement gleefully calls attention to the underage girls requesting adds from his bandmate.  Then it's off to a vintage store on LaBrea to shop for friends back home. The Conchords come up empty, but on their advice, I buy a large velvet chaise lounge, which they very chivalrously help me bring home.  As we make our way back, we discuss the difference between fans in New Zealand and those in America.

"Here they're not as vocal with their criticism," says Clement.  

"In New Zealand, some people think anyone who's ever left the country is a sell-out," McKenzie adds, laughing. "Jemaine went to this store in Wellington, and the woman behind the counter said, 'We don't need your dirty American money.' So he bought the store and fired her."
[/size]
Source: Nylon Magazine
chickenkarma
My shadow played a bass clarinet

Nylon Interview - Summer 2006 Empty Short Article (w/Pic) in Nylon Summer '06

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:16 pm
I just read it! That article is hilarious!!!!

I also loved imagining all the little scenes like Bret wiping the sleep from his eyes (SOOO CUTE)
and them teasing eachother and them browsing around in the vintage store!

that article was soooo great! unlike any others that I have read   Very Happy
gezyka
gezyka
You don't have to be a prostitute

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:20 pm
hahaha, they're so adorable.

It's hard to read that without thinking, "Boys, you have no idea what's about to hit you."

And the end is funny with Jemaine buying the store and firing the woman. haha.
chickenkarma
My shadow played a bass clarinet

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:28 pm
gezyka wrote:hahaha, they're so adorable.

It's hard to read that without thinking, "Boys, you have no idea what's about to hit you."

And the end is funny with Jemaine buying the store and firing the woman. haha.

Exactly what I was thinking too Jess! When I read old articles like this that I have never read before it feels like you are going back in time with them and you can't help but have that feeling like "if they only knew"
That ending story made me laugh too   Very Happy
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:44 pm
"Clement also lodges a request to be described as handsome in this story."

^^^   Razz
ohjeez
Posing like a swan

Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:23 pm
"Clement gleefully calls attention to the underage girls requesting adds from his bandmate."

LOLZ i love it.

thanks for posting this article.
Sponsored content

Nylon Interview - Summer 2006 Empty Re: Nylon Interview - Summer 2006

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum