sally
boomqueen
ines
hellomyfriend
10 posters
Go down
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

Bret McKenzie's Best of L.A. Empty Bret McKenzie's Best of L.A.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:20 pm
From the Los Angeles Times:

Bret McKenzie's Best of L.A.

Wellington, New Zealand native Bret McKenzie has become pretty well-acquainted with Los Angeles over the last couple of years, having relocated here along with Jemaine Clement, his bandmate in Flight of the Conchords, to work on their HBO sitcom. The duo, who also recently released their first full-length album, Flight of the Conchords, won't be around town much longer, as they're scheduled to begin shooting the second season of their hit series in New York. But here are a few of the local pleasures McKenzie might partake of in the meantime.

1. Alegria on Sunset Silver Lake / Echo Park

Probably my favorite spot in Western North America. I get the crispy carnitas or the veggie burrito.

2. Largo at the Coronet Fairfax District

Great live music venue now on La Cienega next to Trashy Lingerie. I saw Aimee Mann's show the other night--it was awesome. Jon Brion performs regularly. He's good, but I just wish he could play more than one instrument.

3. Magic Castle Hollywood

It's the only place I know that has a ghost piano player who takes requests. I've had the ghost play "
What a Fool Believes,"
by the Doobie Brothers and some Elton John tunes. When she doesn't know a song, she'll play two notes so it sounds like she's saying, "
Uh-uh."

4. Pie 'n Burger Pasadena

Great vintage pie and burger spot. Like most places in LA it claims to have the best burger and has a number of burger awards on the walls. I like places where the name let's you know what you're going to get. No surprises.

5. Huntington Library, Art Collections and Botanical Gardens San Marino

The Cactus walk is amazing. It's one of those spots where reality gets all psychedelic on your ass.

6. Inn of the Seventh Ray Topanga

Deeply organic hippie spot in the Topanga Canyon. The menu says it all: "
The food is prepared with love and is charged by our dedicated staff with the vibration of the violet flame for your personal gain, and perhaps transportation to a higher plane."

7. Moonlight Rollerway Glendale

It's a roller disco. Monday nights is fun for beginners. Smooth jams and and not so smooth moves. I never learned how to rollerskate as a child. Some kids were rollerblading, but I was more into the doing the moonwalk.

8. Trashy Lingerie

This is where I get all my pirate themed lingerie.

9. Galco's Soda Pop Stop

Endless selection of boutique fizzy drinks.This is a good spot to avoid the guilt of drinking Coke.

10. Dong Il Jang Koreatown

Awesome Korean BBQ. You cook the food on a hot plate in the middle of the table. The kimchi rice is delicious.

Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:51 pm
....sigh...Bret, I love you. Thanks for posting this!!
ines
Let's boom the boom

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:03 pm
omg i go to the huntington library all the time!!! i love the Mary Cassat pieces they have there! Ahhhh, how come i never ran into him there? boo!

ahhh...he sure likes to eat! i need to take him to Inca Trails. ;<br />D
Its a bomb ass Peruvian restaurant.

Last edited by 26 on Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
boomqueen
boomqueen
I'll nibble chips off your hips

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:40 pm
Ahh I love this!

"
I like places where the name let's you know what you're going to get. No surprises."

Me too Bret...me too...lol
hellomyfriend
Probing Planet Bret

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:57 pm
I just took a look at the Trashy Lingerie website ... they really *do* have a huge selection of pirate-themed lingerie! Hahahaha. I had no idea that was such a popular theme. ;<br />D ;<br />D ;<br />D
ines
Let's boom the boom

Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:26 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:I just took a look at the Trashy Lingerie website ... they really *do* have a huge selection of pirate-themed lingerie! Hahahaha. I had no idea that was such a popular theme. ;<br />D ;<br />D ;<br />D

ooohhh link please link
or if not here pm it to me ;
)
sally
I like to rock the party!

Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:46 pm
"
What a Fool Believes"
?
Elton John?

Oh. My. God.
Be still, my heart.
talkingstove
Beneath a willow tree

Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:52 pm
"
The Cactus walk is amazing. It's one of those spots where reality gets all psychedelic on your ass."

Is it just me or is Bret a stoner? lol! Smile

I would go to every single one of those places (and not just because Bret goes, they all sounds pretty cool. And I loved the botanical garden reference! The one in Phoenix was ah-mazing!). Man, Bret just keeps getting more and more awesome... Is it so bad to love one FOTC boy and then pinch-hit every now and again? ;
)

And Sally, I second the Elton John comments! He is going to be here in September and I am so going!
kvanvalk
Lost but happy at sea

Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:19 pm
This is great! Ah, how Bret makes my heart ache.

Can he please stay in LA a while longer until I can make it out there?? 8-)
boomqueen
boomqueen
I'll nibble chips off your hips

Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:56 pm

talkingstove wrote:
Is it so bad to love one FOTC boy and then pinch-hit every now and again? ;
)

I hope not Deanna....because I have felt the need for some Jemaine more than once...lol
ines
Let's boom the boom

Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:28 pm

hellomyfriend wrote:I just took a look at the Trashy Lingerie website ... they really *do* have a huge selection of pirate-themed lingerie! Hahahaha. I had no idea that was such a popular theme. ;<br />D ;<br />D ;<br />D

I liked some of the trash they had there LOL
chrissycubana
Caribbean Lady

Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:43 pm
oh emmm gee. thinking of bret in the cactus walk at the huntington (it really IS trippy - some of those cacti - make me giggle like a schoolgirl!!!)

and in glendale - so close, but so far away... i totally want to go roller skating - who's with me?!?!?! we can go to porto's cuban bakery and eat to our heart's content first, then work it all off by roller skating all night!

i guess I now know what i'll be doing once i finish the diss!!
ines
Let's boom the boom

Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:05 am
Chrissy i told you Bret was a cholo!

He likes hanging out at Echo Park lol!!!!

I know a cholo when i see one and i called it spot on!!! lmao
ohjeez
Posing like a swan

Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:18 pm
i love this article! bret's personality really comes through this article. i want to get korean bbq with him! ;<br />D

um so yeah...bret needs to somehow mention his trashy lingerie on the show...
ines
Let's boom the boom

Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:20 pm
This just makes me more in love with the Bretmeister. He really likes to eat doesn't he? Where does he put it all? Oh, big hair, big fat hair...LOL ;
)

Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:20 pm

ines wrote:This just makes me more in love with the Bretmeister. He really likes to eat doesn't he? Where does he put it all? Oh, big hair, big fat hair...LOL ;
)

I'm not surprised;
it's been my experience that the skinny guys can put away some food! I would love to cook for him. I bet he's the most unpicky eater ever. I know that's weird to say, but one of my biggest pet peeves is a man who isn't open to trying different foods. I think it reflects a lot about his personality and general attitude toward life. Seriously!

Also, I love that each and every one of these places are places that I would totally go to and enjoy as well. Hanging out with him would be so cool!

SheWolf
Bowie's in space

Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:52 pm
The most unpicky eater ever? Jemaine's the one who's fave is "
anything"
member??

The highlight of the article was: "
they won't be around town much longer, as they're scheduled to begin shooting the second season of their hit series in New York."
Yis!! Come to me, my babies!

Last edited by 103 on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:50 pm

SheWolf wrote:The most unpicky eater ever? Jemaine's the one who's fave is "
anything"
member??

The highlight of the article was: "
they won't be around town much longer, as they're scheduled to begin shooting the second season of their hit series in New York."
Yis!! Come to me, my babies!

Really??? Even better! I shall just have to have them both over for dinner and we'll see where the evening takes us.....

And I *know* you're ready for them to be in NYC, Lori!!! I want them to be on our coast too. If you see any filming, you have to let us know about it!!
Sponsored content

Bret McKenzie's Best of L.A. Empty Re: Bret McKenzie's Best of L.A.

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum